Webconverger boots from a USB memory stick plugged into your PC
You may either purchase a pre-installed memory stick, or you may create one yourself with any generic USB stick greater than 1G.
Instead of creating a USB stick for booting a PC to test Webconverger, you can alternatively use Virtualbox.
Below are a series of step-by-step instructions to help you create a Webconverger USB stick on popular systems from the Webconverger download (ISO file).
Using Microsoft Windows
- Download the latest official Webconverger from http://dl.webconverger.com/latest.iso The downloaded file will be renamed to the latest ISO, webc-VERSION.iso
- Download Disk Imager from http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/files/latest/download
- The 'win32diskimager' binary should download as a zip file. Extract all files to a folder on the Desktop
- Insert your USB stick
- Note the drive letter assigned to your USB stick
- Start Disk Imager from your folder of extracted files on the Desktop
- Select the downloaded file webc-VERSION.iso (you need to change the file filter to .) and target device, and click "Write" (Note: this will wipe all information you have on the selected USB stick. So be very careful to note the correct drive letter assigned to your USB stick at step.4)
- Remove your USB stick when the operation is complete
If you re-insert the USB key once specially formatted with Webconverger, Windows may ask if it should format the USB stick. Ignore this, it's because Windows doesn't understand the filesystem now on your USB stick.
Please follow our step-by-step MacOSX guide with pictures.
fdisk -l will list your inserted USB drive - usually /dev/sdx ("x"
representing letter like sdb, sdc etc.).
sudo dd if=webc-VERSION.iso of=/dev/sdx
You might find specifying the additional argument
bs=1M makes it faster.
Configuring your PC to boot the USB key instead of your hard drive
Some PCs boot a USB stick by default, so you might need to adjust your PC's BIOS at all.
- Video showing how to change the BIOS to boot from the USB stick
- Video on configuring Intel Video BIOS
There are different keys of entering the BIOS boot menu depending on the BIOS, it could be [Del], [Esc], [F2], [F8] or [F12] key. The BIOS usually flashes which key to press on your keyboard that allows you to access the BIOS setup for the briefest of moments as you turn your PC computer on.
Once you are in the BIOS menu, you need to find the boot menu and bubble up the USB disk where you copied Webconverger upon. Then Save & Exit, to boot Webconverger every time you power on that machine.