Webconverger heavily uses the notion of
/proc/cmdline to control setup.
Spaces in cmdline
need to be
encodeURI in order not be considered keys themselves. For
developers, startup might better explain how these are used.
Or by using the configuration service form which you need to take a subscription out with Webconverger. The service presents the various options below in a friendly Web form on boot, which are saved on the Web so your values are retained between boots once subscribed.
Your own homepage
You can enter several homepages, which will open in several tabs, separate each
- MACID expands to your network MAC address
- USBID expands to USB serial, for identifying which USB stick was booted - you could conceivably use different USB sticks for a lightweight (but not secure) physical authentication,
USBID_override=is a way to override this value.
- WEBCID expands to Webconverger's identifier
- WEBCVERSION expands to use
git describethe running instance's version
For example: Customers want to track which kiosks are logging in. These is best accomplished using a keyword MACID. For example the homepage:
Could be expanded to
Changing browser chrome
- chrome=webconverger - this is the default
- chrome=webcnoaddressbar - disable URL bar and search bar, good for controlled access setups
- chrome=webcfullscreen - fullscreen without any chrome
- chrome=neon - fullscreen as used with Neon
- chrome=debug - nightly testing tools, for testing crash recovery etc. and to expose
See kiosk for screenshots of the options.
Neon configuration example (a complex example)
chrome=neon homepage=http://sg.webconverger.com/?mac=MACID timezone=Asia/Singapore cron=00%2003%20*%20*%20*%20root%20killall%20firefox hidecursor noblank xrandr-all=--rotate%20left
Explanation of the above:
- Set the chrome (not the browser, but the GUI), to a dark themed "neon" for <abbr="Digital Out Of Home">DOOH
- Set the homepage to sg.webconverger.com, whilst also passing a screen identifier
- Set the timezone to Singapore, so we can express a local time in the next line
- Schedule a job to run at 3AM, to kill firefox, the browser used in Webconverger. This is to ensure responsiveness in case there is a memory leak
hidecursormakes sure the mouse cursor is invisible
noblankensures the screen does not turn black, i.e. it's always showing the rendered Webpage
- Rotate connected screens to portrait
How to limit access with a blacklist or a whitelist?
Please see filtering page.
Use Webconverger in a different language to English
Please refer to i18n
Is it possible to change desktop background image ?
Please see artwork for details how to use
Specify a HTTP proxy at 192.168.1.5 with port 8888
NEW in version 26: Basic authentication
How do I make the screen not timeout and go black?
noblank, see blanking for more.
How do I make the terminal reset / timeout after being used?
kioskresetstation, see blanking for more information
How do I prevent Webconverger from cleaning up after each session? (From 14.0)
noclean. This is not recommended for deployments, however if some
cases where the machine is used by just one person, this is very convenient for
day to day usage.
Rotate the screen?
To rotate right on all connected screens:
This is computed as running
xrandr --output CONNECTED_DEVICE --rotate right.
For finer control by explicitly naming your CONNECTED_DEVICE, you can use
xrandr=, but then you must discover the exact name of your output device,
which can vary machine to machine.
Need to setup up a higher than detected resolution?
Please follow this display guide.
DEBUG MODE for developers
Once Webconverger is booted, the dwm window
manager defaults to shift+alt+enter for a
Terminal. Gain root with
Please see debug for more.
Position mouse pointer
Moves the mouse cursor to the top left of the screen. This is useful when the default cursor in the middle of the screen might accidentally trigger some mouse over event in the Web application.
Disable automatic upgrades with git
noupgrade. See upgrade for more details.
Disable configuration service
How do I make the machine turn off at a set time everyday?
Set a cronjob
Changing DNS or statically configuring the network?
Please refer to networking
Locking down boot
noescape, which disallows debugging of installed Webconverger.
However it only kicks in after the boot configuration is rewritten after a
Hiding and showing the cursor
Hiding the cursor is often used with touch screens:
By default the cursor is shown on input use and hides after 5 seconds. See blanking for details.
How to create a screensaver for attracting patrons?
Please see screensaver.
Touch screen input calibration and user interface tweaks
Please refer to the touch screen calibration wiki page for calibration and UI tweaks like
How do I declare my network printer?
printer= API, documented in printing.
How do I show a print button?
How do I enable the numlock for numpad text entry?
How to override Firefox preferences (autoconfig)
prefs= sets Firefox's powerful
This is stanza to your current email address, so we can contact you.
Remote logging (from version 15)
Sign up for an account with Papertrail
Replace XXXXX with the port number associated with your account.
Alternatively, you can use the
support command to send us your logs to the http://support.webconverger.com/ service.